The Fitness Program provides the UNCG community with events and programs that enhance physical and mental performance, increase self-understanding through health education, and foster long-term healthy lifestyle choices. We strive to create a welcoming, respectful, and inspiring environment for participants in our quest to build a healthier UNCG. Our multi-faceted program is capable and willing to help you meet your personal health and wellness goals.
With RecWell’s Fitness Program, you have many options to achieve your health and fitness goals. Choose from our many Group Fitness classes, work out on our state-of-the-art fitness equipment. or receive guidance from our Certified Personal Trainers.
Each week, the Department of Recreation and Wellness offers over 50 Group Fitness Classes to students and members. With a wide variety of class offerings, we are confident we have the right class for you. Whether you are looking to focus on strength and conditioning, flexibility, or mental wellness, let one of our instructors guide you through a fun yet challenging exercise experience!
Not sure how to do it on your own? We are here for you! Ask one of our Fitness Assistants for instruction on how to use our equipment or sign up for individual or partner Personal Training sessions.
How do I maintain socially distanced while exercising?
All fitness equipment and spaces have been socially distanced 8-12ft from each other. Exercisers should maintain socially distanced when transitioning in the fitness areas or using non-market areas.
Are all fitness areas open?
- In order to maintain a safe and clean environment, the weight room areas have been separated into three zones. Each zone has similar equipment to accommodate all exercisers. At any given time, two zones will be open for exercise while the other zone is being sanitized.
- The BOX and a CORE training space will be open for all operating hours.
- Studio 1 will be available for virtual group fitness during all operating hours.
- The turf is closed.
- The Mat Room is closed.
- All studios will be unavailable except for group exercise and departamental programming.
Is all the equipment available?
A majority of our equipment is available to members. However, soft-materials equipment and some small-apparatus equipment has been removed for public use due to sanitization difficulties. This includes ropes, straps, bands and tubes. Plyometric boxes are only available in the BOX and CORE Zone.
How often is equipment cleaned?
- All members must wipe off equipment using a provided disposable equipment wipe after each use. In addition, staff will clean all equipment every 60 minutes. Note that equipment may be unavailable for 1-5 minutes while this occurs.
- Every 90 minutes a specified fitness zone will close for deep sanitization by fitness staff. You may be asked to transition areas.
Is there a time limit to how long I can work out?
No, but due to our cleaning schedule, you may be asked to transition to a different fitness zone to continue your workout, so that zones can be closed for deep cleaning.
Can I work out with a partner?
Members may still workout with a partner, but must maintain social distancing with each other and other members.
Do you provide spotting?
- Staff will not be available to assist with spotting.
- Individuals may spot each other on a voluntary basis. However, If unable to maintain 6ft apart, both the individual and spotter must wear a face covering.
Will there be group fitness classes available?
Group fitness classes will be available. Classes will have limited capacity to maintain social distancing guidelines. We will also continue to offer virtual group fitness programming online.
How many people can attend fitness classes?
All studio spaces have been assigned a capacity based on square footage, social distancing, and state and University mandated gathering requirements.
Do I need to register to attend fitness classes?
Classes are first come first served until capacity is reached.
How will fitness classes be socially distanced?
Group fitness studios have floor markings for social distancing. Group fitness classes will have limited capacity. We are adhering to NIRSA recommendations of a minimum of 100 sq.ft. between patrons.
Will in-person personal training services be available?
Yes, individuals can register for personal training via the RecWell website.
Please contact us at email@example.com or 336.334.5924 with any questions.
Group Fitness Schedule
Sun, Sep 20
Les Mills Core with Bowman – On Demand
Zumba with Olivia – On Demand
Bodypump with Bowman – On Demand
Yoga with Catie P. – On Demand
Zumba with Madinah – On Demand
Barre with Elaine – On Demand
Move N’ Groove with Kennedi – On Demand
HIIT with Monai – On Demand
Bodypump with Kelly – On Demand
Yoga with Caitlyn S. – On Demand
Fri, Sep 25
Spin45 – Claudia
Zumba – Olivia (Z)
Les Mills Core – Bowman (Z)
Outdoor Yoga – Catie P.
HIIT & Core – Monai (Z)