Rest is more than just sleep. We also need to pause mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.
Benefits of RESTING your body and brain on a regular basis:
|Improve memory and brain function||Decreases food cravings|
|Optimizes ability to process ideas||Reduces risk for disease|
|Decreases depression||Regulates mood|
|Alleviates anxiety||Promotes alertness|
|Increases physical energy||Lengthens life|
Here are some ways to engage in PHYSICAL rest:
- Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Go to bed and rise around the same time each day.
- Increase exposure to natural light during the day. Spend more time outside (especially in green spaces).
- Ensure 7-8 hours of sleep nightly.
- Move your body on a regular basis. Physical activity helps the body achieve deeper levels of restoration.
- Minimize light. Get your room as dark as possible.
- Cool your room to temperatures between 65-68 degrees F.
- Reduce caffeine intake. Minimize overall and limit to earlier parts of the day (before 3:00pm).
- Minimize electronic use within 2 hours of sleeping.
- Store your phone in another room.
- Limit naps to 45 minutes and avoid after 3:00pm to ensure readiness at night.